Saturday, April 05, 2008

My 666th Post


David Seaton's News Links
According to Google Blogger Dashboard, this is my 666th post since I started News Links way back in October of 2006, with the object of emulating my hero, Billmon, who has retired and whom I miss terribly.

Once I had the suspicion that Billmon was a professor named Sidney Winter, but I never had that confirmed. If the greatest blogger that ever lived isn't you Sid, accept my heartfelt apologies.

So, I have decided to dedicate my 666th posting to "The Beast" himself, Billmon.

If you have arrived in blogdom lately and never read the master, another devotee, Miguel de Icaza saved the gurumaharaj's entire production before it was yanked from cyberspace. You may visit the temple and lay offerings at Billmon's tomb at this address. And of course, no homage to The Beast would be complete without Yeat's poem:
"The Second Coming"
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Outside of the tango, "Cambalache", no better description of our world has ever been written.

Tomorrow we can get back to who is best fitted to lead America into its imperial abyss.
DS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Billmon! Also my hero. David, you also have posted many times in a way that makes me pause and consider my rationale about what I believe about certain subjects. Billmon could do that every day! I also saved many of his posts, but have not published them, thanks for the link!

Best Regards,

David in SF