Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sarko blotto?

David Seaton's News Links
Here is the video of Sarkozy apparently (obviously?) drunk at a press conference at the G8. It is one of the big hits on francophone YouTube.

I find it interesting for two reasons. First, that he allows himself to be seen drunk and second, the sort of drunk he seems to be... a weak, silly, (girlish?) drunk. Not Yeltsin class at all. Not even Dubya class.

It confirms for me the impression that I have had that victory has caused some sort of strange metamorphosis in Sarkozy. From the very first day as president of France he seems physically different. I noticed the change even in his first official photograph. It is something I can't quite put my finger on yet and I won't indulge in psychobabble trying to analyze that difference, I only invite readers to keep their eyes peeled and see if they notice what I do and help me define it.

There is a saying in Spanish, "si quieres conocer a Dieguillo, dale un carguillo". Which translates roughly as, "if you want to know what somebody's really like, put them in charge of something." Below I have included Charlie Chaplin's classic "globe dance" from "The Great Dictator"... maybe it's relevant. DS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"drunk with power" is no pseudo-psycho, it's probably quite an old expression ;)

David Seaton's Newslinks said...

I think "power" had a little help here.

janinsanfran said...

Thanks for posting this. What a fascinating development.

Anonymous said...

funny you are mentioning this phase, I also have noticed this and wondering who or what has a control over his "psycho" PERSONALITY. Any news where Cecila (Sarko's wife) disappeared during the G8 summit, did Bush hangover have something to do with this disappearenance?